Welcome to the Plagiarism LibGuide. You will see on this page resources for avoiding, preventing and detecting plagiarism.
Auburn Univeristy Tiger Cub
1. the possession, receipt, or use of any material or assistance not authorized in the preparation of any essay, ...while an exam or quiz is in progress, or cheating,...
2. knowingly giving assistance to another person in such preparation;
3. selling, giving, lending or otherwise furnishing to any other person any material...;
4. the submission of themes, essays, term papers, design projects, theses and dissertations, ...that are not the work of the student submitting them.
5. When direct quotations are used, they must be indicated, and when the ideas of another are incorporated into a paper, they must be appropriately acknowledged.
6. Plagiarism is a violation. In starkest terms, plagiarism is stealing - using the words or ideas of another as if they were one's own...
Turnitin allows educators to check students’ work for improper citation or potential plagiarism by comparing it against continuously updated databases using the industry’s most advanced search technology. Every Originality Report provides instructors with the opportunity to teach their students proper citation methods as well as to safeguard their students’ academic integrity. [ from Turnitin]
Articles relating to Plagiarism
Center for Academic Integrity A website on all things to do with honesty & integrity in academia.
Plagiary.org 2 year archive of a journal publishing cross-disciplinary Studies in Fabrication, Plagiarism and Falsification
Integrity: Academic and Political: A Letter to My Students "This is a wonderful example of how a faculty member can initiate classroom discussions about the mutual responsibilities of students and faculty with respect to academic integrity."
Student wins battle against plagiarism-detection requirement Student wins appeal after refusing to let his professor run his paper through TurnItIn.
Avoiding Plagiarism in the Classroom University of Hawaii, Leeward Community College
How to Avoid Plagiarism Northwestern University
Avoiding PLAGIARISM University of California - Davis
How to Avoid Plagiarism Penn State
Avoiding Plagiarism University of Texas - Austin
Cyberplagiarism: Detection and Prevention Penn State
Preventing Plagiarism University of Alberta
What can Faculty do to help prevent academic dishonesty? Oregon State University
Preventing Plagiarism University of Technology - Sydney
Educating Students about Plagiarism
Plagiarism and Academic Integrity Learning Objects University of Maryland: MultiMedia tutorials on plagiarism: what it is & how to avoid it
Educate your students about plagiarism(3) "Do not assume that students know what plagiarism is..."
Educative University of Pretoria - "[Professors] are primarily responsible for teaching students the attitudes, skills and behaviours which will prevent plagiarism."