Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
General search tips
If you’re coming up with too few or too many results, try these tips!
Broaden your search
• Shorten a word to its root (truncate it) and add an asterisk (*)
◦ A search for pollut* would include the words pollute, pollution, pollutant, pollutants...
• Use OR instead of AND between keywords
Narrow your search
• Use AND between keywords
• Use NOT to exclude keywords
AND only returns search results that contain both keywords
OR returns results that include either keyword
NOT excludes one or more of your keywords
Search tips for Web of Science
Web of Science has a lot of features to make narrowing your search and finding similar documents easier for you. Here are a few of them:
On the main search page
- Under Timespan, narrow the date range
- Add another search term
On the results page
- On the left side of the screen, narrow your results by CATEGORY, DOCUMENT TYPE, AUTHOR, etc.
On an individual record page
- View the Author-supplied Keywords or Keyword Plus - use those terms in your search
- Click on View Related Records
- View Cited References and to read abstracts or download articles from the bibliography
- View Times Cited to read abstracts or download articles that cited the article of interest
*And remember: You can save marked records and email them to yourself*