Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Federal Depository Library
This library is a congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents. Public access to the government documents collection is guaranteed by public law. (Title 44 United States Code)
Types of Topographic Maps
- The map collection holds current and older editions of U.S. Geological Survey topographic maps for the United States and its territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands and the U.S Virgin Islands).
- 1:24,000 scale (7.5-minute) & 1:63,360 scale (Alaska 15-minute)
- Maps on these scales are interfiled together. Maps are divided by state and are arranged by sheet name within each state. An index is available in the first drawer for each state. The collection retains both the current and superseded editions. Maps can also be downloaded for free from the USGS Store.
- 1:100,000 scale (30 x 60 minute)
- Filed by state and then by sheet name. Includes planimetric maps issued by the Bureau of Land Management. An index is available on top of the cabinet. The collection retains the current editions only.
- 1:500,000 Scale
- These are state topographic maps. They are base, shaded relief or topographic maps. Sheets are filed by state name.
- Download United States topographic maps from the United States Geological Survey.
- Topographic Map Symbols
- Booklet from the USGS on interpreting symbols on topographic maps .