Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Comprehensive hands-on EndNote workshops are offered roughly every two weeks. These 90 minute workshops are most useful for those who already have EndNote or are planning to purchase a copy.
What is citation software?
EndNote, Mendeley, and Zotero are examples of citation software.
Citation software allows you to ...
- Keep track of all of your citations
- Save and organize PDFs (and other files associated with a citation)
- Import citations from databases like PubMed, SciFinder, PsycINFO, and Web of Science.
- Format citations when writing papers in whatever citation style that you need
- Take notes on articles and save them with the citation
Comparisons by other universities
Which citation manager is best for you? The links above and the table below can help you decide, but here are a few other questions to consider.
- What are your colleagues or your advisor using?
- Is money an overriding issue? If not, then EndNote may be the best choices. EndNote costs about $120 for students and $180 for faculty (less if multiple copies are purchased). The same EndNote version can be used for several years and upgrades are less expensive than the full price. There are free alternatives. Zotero and Mendeley are free (mostly).
- Do you need to be able to write papers in different citations styles? Most journals have different citation styles even if they are nominally using a style such as ACS style, APA, Chicago, or MLA.
- Is ease of use all important? Zotero and Mendeley are easiest.
- Is full functionality important? EndNote is more powerful and customizable.
- Do you plan to spend many years in academia? EndNote is best for large reference collections.
- Are journal abbreviations used in your preferred citation style(s)? EndNote handles this best.
- No decision is final! Citations can be moved from one citation manager to another.
||Desktop software for PC and Mac
||Web-based Firebox plug-in
||Students $120, Faculty $180, Others $260
||Free for Auburn University students, faculty, and staff
||Free with 100 MB free online file storage. More file storage starts at $20/year
|How to get it
||Purchase online or at AU Bookstore. Download free 30 day trial from www.endnote.com.
||Register for free account at www.myendnoteweb.com. Use your Auburn email address.
|Ease of use
||Moderate learning curve, especially for advanced features
||Easier than EndNote
||Easy to learn
||Word and Open Office
||Word and Open Office
||No. It can link to PDFs on your computer.
||Not directly, but can through EndNote Web