This accession contains a variety of both preliminary sketches and final drafts of Robert L. Faust's architectural designs, many from his earlier years as a designer (1950s-1980s). Sketches are bound in oversized sketchbooks. Some final drafts are framed with matboard.
This collection contains information related to Winter's professional career as an architect. It contains material on city planning and renewal for a variety of communities in the Southeast, such as Louisville, Kentucky and Mobile, Alabama. In addition, the collection contains information regarding Winter's professional activities involving the American Architecture Association and various conventions Winter attended. The collection consists of photographs, maps, correspondence, reports, cassette tapes, slides, and minutes. It is organized by series and subseries dealing with Winter's architectural business.
Charles H. McCauley was born in Chicago and received his degree in Architecture at the University of Illinois. His office in Birmingham, opened in 1925, designed a large number of hospitals, public schools, government buildings, theaters, churches, and other buildings in southern states. These papers include architectural drawings, sketches, renderings, and photographs of various buildings designed by his office.
Finding aid in repository.
|This accession consists of five binders belonging to Schuyler, probably kept in his office library as reference materials. Each volume contains pages from various journals including The American Architect, The Architectural Review, The Western Architect, The Architectural Forum and Scientific American. Most are pages showing photographs of buildings. Themes for the binders are banks, monuments, office buildings and skyscrapers. This accession also includes four architectural renderings.|
Includes materials related to service on academic committees, clippings, correspondence, Historic American Building Survey materials, materials relating to Fort Conde, Cahaba, and Huntsville, grade books, and miscellaneous items.
Marty was awarded two degrees in architecture from Alabama Polytechnic Institute. His academic teaching career began in 1939 and ended with his retirement as Professor Emeritus in 1972 at Auburn University. He was an active member of the American Institute of Architects, especially in historic preservation.
Grade books are closed to access for eighty years from date of each book.
Finding aid in repository.
Born in Stillwater, Oklahoma, in 1924, E. Keith McPheeters earned a B.Arch. from Oklahoma State University and an M.F.A. in Architecture from Princeton University. He served as Professor of Architecture at the University of Arkansas from 1956-1966, Dean and Professor of Architecture at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute from 1966-1969, and Dean of the College of Architecture, Design, and Construction at Auburn University from 1969-1988. Throughout and after his academic career, McPheeters designed a variety of buildings in Arkansas and Alabama, especially homes and churches. He also led a group of architects in creating a series of designs and drawings for the restoration of Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright's studio in Spring Green, Wisconsin, in the early 1990s. He died in Auburn, Alabama, in 2008. Contains architectural drawings, blueprints, pictures and slides of buildings E. Keith McPheeters designed. Also included are three watercolors McPheeters painted, and several of his sketchbooks.
Dudley, a Columbus, Georgia, architect, submitted plans in 1887 for a proposed building for the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama, now Auburn University. The design selected was by Bruce and Morgan of Atlanta, Georgia. The building, Samford Hall, was completed in 1888 and serves as Auburn's administration building.
A front elevation drawing and three different floor plans (1887) of the proposed building submitted by Dudley; and plans, elevations and details of a house for college professor P.H. Mell, also by Dudley.
Holman was born in Ozark, Alabama. He received his architectural education from Alabama Polytechnic Institute and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He designed a variety of public and private buildings in Alabama and the southeastern states.
Includes drawings of eighteen structures designed by Holman, some with photographs; correspondence; photographs of architectural licenses; photographs of diplomas; and a personal photograph.
Finding aid in repository.
The Holmes family has a long-standing interest in historic preservation. Nicholas Holmes, III (1952-) a life-long resident of Mobile, Alabama, an Auburn University graduate (1976, 1978), and a professional architect, was recognized in 2015 for his work on historic Barton Academy. His brother, Andrew Holmes (1956-) participated in an archaeological dig at the age of seven and went on to work as field tech for many digs in Alabama including sites at Fort Louis and Spanish Fort. He later worked with Archaeological Associates and Mauvilla Corporation. Their father, Nick, Jr. (1924-2016) graduated from Alabama Polytechnic Institute (now Auburn University) with a degree in architecture, completed numerous commercial and residential projects, and was a registered archaeologist. Nick Jr. wrote and spoke about his experiences renovating the Alabama State Capitol, one of numerous renovations completed by the father and son. Nick Jr.'s wife, Nancy Neiswender Holmes (1926-2008), founded what is now the Historic Mobile Preservation Society and was Executive Director of the Mobile Historic Development Commission from 1970-1975. Nicholas Holmes, Sr. (1878-1957), was born in Montgomery, Alabama and educated in Chicago. He worked as a structural engineer, an architectural draftsman, and superintendent of construction in various locations in the United States, Panama, and Canada before settling in Mobile in the 1950's. Nick Sr., NHH Jr., and NHH III have all delineated drawings for the Historic American Buildings Survey. This collection consists of the papers of Nicholas H. Holmes, Jr. related to his career in architecture and archaeology. Materials are in original order and are grouped primarily by project. Most architectural records of Holmes and his son, Nicholas H. Holmes, III, contain specifications, bids, shop drawings, correspondence, notes, blueprints, invoices, and addenda related to each project. The archaeology accession contains Cultural Resources Reconnaissance Reports, research, photographs, and maps. Also of note is the accession of correspondence from Eugene B. Sledge to Nicholas H. Holmes, Jr. regarding Sledge's World War II memoir, "With the Old Breed".
John G. "Jack" Williams (1941-) earned master's degrees in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania and in Landscape Architecture from Harvard University. He headed the architectural firm Woo and Williams in Cambridge, Massachusetts. From 1992 to 2008 he was a professor at the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture at Auburn University, where he served as Chair of Landscape Architecture. In 2004 Williams was named Fulbright Distinguished Scholar in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design. He is the author of East 40 Degrees: an Interpretive Atlas (2006) and Easy On, Easy Off: the Urban Pathology of America's Small Towns (2016). The Foundation for Landscape Studies awarded his books the J.B. Jackson Prize for best book on landscape studies in 2008 and 2017. This collection consists of aerial photographs and print and digital maps created for Williams and used in Urbis Alabama: a Comparative Study of Small Southern Towns. Many of the images appear in East 40 Degrees (2006). Abstracted maps show topography, street grids, and building figures to compare urban form in small towns.
Paul C. Brandt was raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. He attended Lutheran schools, and in 1941, entered the University of Illinois. In 1942 he was enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserves, and in 1943 went into active duty. He was stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia, with the School Troops Brigade. He married Olga Louise Gates in 1945 and was discharged in 1946. He returned to the University of Illinois, where he earned a BS in Architectural Engineering in 1947, and an MS in 1948. He worked as a contractor and architect, including his own firm, until 1968. It was then that he took a position at Auburn University as professor and head of the Department of Building Sciences. He held that position until 1991, when he stepped down as head of the department. He remained part-time until 1996, when he retired fully. Olga died in 1990, and Paul married his current wife, Frieda. They have 8 children, 12 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren. Collection contains Brandt's letters home from his time in the Army during World War II. There are also digital, re-typed copies on floppy disk, and compact disc.
|This collection consists of blueprints, slides, and photographs of residential and commercial projects. Most blueprint sets include topographical survey, site plan, floor plan, building elevation, and other renderings. The collection also includes information about the career of Philip Laval Porter, some professional correspondence, and photocopies of awards and articles.|
This accession is divided into three series. Series one, the bulk of the collection, consists of architectural drawings completed by Raymond Sizemore and members of his firm. These drawings were used in designing homes, businesses, and churches in Alabama, primarily in the city of Montgomery. The second series includes 9 CDs with digital scans of architectural drawings done by the Sizemore firm. Series three contains a small amount of reports, drafts, and miscellaneous office material from Sizemore's firm.
Millman, who received his bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture from the University of Michigan, served as a professor of architecture at Auburn University from 1968 to his retirement in 1989.
Contains items related to historic buildings, primarily in the state of Alabama, as well as photographs taken by Millman and his student Richard Fox of the buildings on the campus of Auburn University for his book The Auburn University Walking Tour Guide.
Nathan Bryan Whitfield (1798-1868), a wealthy planter and legislator from Lenoir County, North Carolina, moved his family west to Marengo County, Alabama, in 1835. Whitfield quickly began purchasing land and additional slaves and by 1836 he owned nearly four thousand acres of land and dozens of slaves. Whitfield is perhaps best known as the architect and builder of Gaineswood, an elaborate Greek Revival-style mansion built on property he purchased from George Strother Gaines in 1842. It took nearly twenty years and the work of hundreds of laborers (including many enslaved artisans) to construct the mansion. On the eve of the Civil War Whitfield presided over plantations in Alabama and Mississippi. He owned over six thousands of acres of land and two hundred slaves.
Contains correspondence between N.B. Whitfield, family patriarch, and members of his family as well as correspondence among themselves. Personal records, such as grade reports and army service records are here, as are plantation financial records.
Civil War letters are included in the Auburn University Libraries' Digital Collections: Civil War Diaries and Letters.
Collection contains a great deal of published biographical material about Spratling and information concerning 1947 movie "Silver Bill", correspondence, information about the "Spratling bibliography" project at RBD Library (Auburn University), information about his 1962 honorary doctorate, photographs, Spratling's writings, Mexican visa documents, obituary notices, a 1991 taped interview with W. Kelly Mosley about Spratling, and a 2000 taped lecture on Spratling by Dr. Taylor Littleton.