Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You have two options for accessing AU resources off-campus:
Log in via proxy service – see below
Establish a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
The library uses proxy service to provide access - you do NOT need to be connected to VPN to access library resources.
Begin on the library home page (www.lib.auburn.edu).
Click on a specific journal or database - you will be asked to log in.
Use your Auburn username and password to log in and then proceed as usual to search the journal or database.
What is VPN?
Short for Virtual Private Network, VPN software makes it appear that you are on-campus, even if you are using an off-campus computer or AU Wireless. This is useful for resources that are limited to only on-campus use. It is also convenient for resources that require off-campus authentication, such as online journals and databases.
Quickstart: Download VPN software
Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN software is available only to Auburn University faculty, students, and staff.
An Auburn University User ID and OIT password are required to download and use the GlobalProtect VPN software. If you are faculty, staff, or student, and do not have an Auburn University User-ID, contact the Technology Hotline at (334) 844-4944. If you have forgotten your password, you will need to contact the OIT Service Desk.
- Log in to AU Install with your Auburn User ID and password
- Scroll down until you come to Palo Alto GlobalProtect.
- Download and install the Windows or Macintosh version of Palo Alto GlobalProtect VPN client onto your computer. You may need to login to MyAccount before downloading the software.
- You are now ready to establish a VPN connection.
QuickStart: Using VPN from off-campus
- Look for the "Palo Alto Networks" folder in your computer's Start menu, or search for "GlobalProtect" using your computer's search function.
- If this is your first time using the VPN, enter "auvpn2.auburn.edu" in the portal address box and click Connect.
- Type your regular Auburn username and password.
- You will receive a DUO prompt on your phone. Accept the prompt, and the connection will finalize.
- You should now be connected the AU network and able to access on-campus only resources. There should be a VPN connection icon in the right corner of the screen or in the "hidden icons" section with the logo.
- If you wish to use an Internet browser, open a new Internet browser window, or refresh any that you already have open.
- To end the VPN session, right-click on VPN icon in the "hidden icons" section of your Windows computer, or search for "GlobalProtect" again. Click "Disconnect."